Friday, March 11, 2011

Tiger Mom

I haven't read the book, "Tiger Mom," but I have read a few excerpts and passages from it. I have heard that the draconian mother in the book is righteously defending how she raised her children on TV and in other places.
I would like to say that yes, many American children lack discipline, and yes, it is detrimental how much TV time and video game time some children have. Too much TV and computer time is bad for adults, as well!
But I would like to say that the measures used by people like "Tiger Mom" go to the other extreme. Whatever happened to the principle of moderation? I have known quite a few families whose children are very bright and talented and pursuing college educations who NEVER resorted to the concentration-camp style tactics of "Tiger Mom."
My own sister could play the piano beautifully and, as far as I can remember, my parents never really "made" her practice. She practiced because she loved music. My other sister never went to college but has had a highly successful career as a loan underwriter.
Discipline is important, don't get me wrong! I am not advocating letting children run wild or be completely lazy. Parents have to be tough!!! On the other hand, I would also like to advocate balancing being tough with a gentle, loving attitude, the kind that you find in the parents of the Ann of Green Gables books or Little Women. And let a kid be a kid. Let them have plenty of free time to play and enjoy childhood.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder if over-structuring produces children who are less spontaneous and creative in ways which could benefit society. That doesn't mean that a structured lifestyle is a bad thing, it is certainly good and necessary for a home to run smoothly, but too much of a good thing can bring harm, like you implied.
    A good share of childhood gleaning occurs when Mom and Dad aren't around to possess the moment or hover over those "experiments", ha.

    ReplyDelete