Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina Current mood:thoughtful
There has been a lot of hullaballoo about some bishop somewhere (Germany?) who made a statement that Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for sin, or something to that effect. Of course people were up in arms--how dare this man have an opinion! Especially in America (the only country I know of that actually voted in their dictator, rather than making him put together a military coup) the cries of outrage went up.Now I do not believe people in New Orleans are any guiltier of sin than, say, people in Seattle or Boise. Rejecting God's laws is popular all across the good ol' US of A! And as my mom used to say, "The innocent suffer along with the guilty." (I have changed that to "the innocent usually suffer a lot more than the guilty," but that's just me.)I am of the mindset that ANY natural disaster, or even unnatural disaster, is a call to repentance for EVERYONE, regardless of whether one was affected or not.

2 comments:

  1. Good insights, Jackie.

    I like what your mother said, since it's so true, and yet you made that statement even brighter.

    My mother used to say, "Suffering purifies." And of course, that is so true too, and shows that "punishment" -- even though we think of it in a negative way -- is not always a bad thing, if it makes us better people in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems many people will only give up their sins and turn to God as a last resort after great sufferings.

    ReplyDelete